What to Do After a Traffic Collision: Talk to a Car Accident Lawyer
24 / 7 Assistance for Car Accident Victims in Ocala & GainesvilleDo you know what to do after a car accident? It’s not a question most people think about! Of course, no one plans to get in a major car accident—but it’s not a bad idea to be prepared. A simple look at the statistics shows that too many people suffer from serious injuries incurred in automobile collisions every year in the United States. By preparing for the worst, you’ll be in the best possible position to recover and obtain compensation should an accident occur. Speaking with a professional car accident lawyer is essential to know all of your options.
Check out the tips below and reach out to a car accident lawyer to schedule a free consultation.
Top Ways to Prevent a Car AccidentOf course, the best safety method isn’t preparation, it’s prevention. There’s only so much you can do to prevent a car accident from happening—after all, many accidents are caused by one driver’s negligence, and you have no control over a situation where someone else is doing something dangerous. However, these are the steps you can take to prevent an accident and injury.
Here are some of the suggestions to help you remain a safe driver:
- Never use your phone when you drive. According to the National Safety Council, approximately 1.6 million crashes every year are caused by cell phone use. Texting while driving is one example of phone use that causes accidents—in fact, 1 in 4 accidents in the United States are caused by texting while driving, resulting in 330,000 injuries per year.
- Keep your car in good repair. Ensuring regular maintenance for your car helps you protect yourself from an accident caused by engine failure, brake failure, a flat tire, a headlight that has gone out, or another vehicle/equipment malfunction. Take good care of your car by getting your oil changed regularly, replacing your brake fluid, getting your tires rotated, checking your lights, changing your tires when they are worn, and so on.
- Be aware of other drivers on the road. While you can only do so much, the more attentive you are of the drivers around you, the more defensive and proactive you can be to avoid a collision.
- Don’t drive when you’re tired. Studies show that fatigued driving is as dangerous as drunk driving. If you’re tired—don’t drive.
Key Steps to Take After a Car AccidentIf you were hurt in a car accident, here are some steps to take immediately after the accident:
- Don’t leave the scene of the accident. Stay on the scene until the authorities arrive. Unless you need emergency medical attention, you should try to obtain the names and insurance/ contact information of those involved in the accident. If possible, take pictures of the scene, including skid marks on the pavement, car placement, car parts, and so on.
- Avoid claiming responsibility for the accident. Don’t admit guilt, apologize, or say that the accident was your fault. Even if you think you were to blame, you could be wrong, and an admission of guilt will hurt your case in court. Adrenaline, emotions and fear is high after an accident. You may feel responsible, but don’t take responsibility. You only saw one side of the accident, so you don’t know everything that happened. Wait to speak with a car accident lawyer.
- Keep records of your injuries and damages. As soon as you get a chance, write down everything you remember from the accident. Keep all your receipts, medical records, doctor’s notes, and other documents that can help. Get a copy of the police report from the accident. Take photographs of your injuries if possible. Get the medical care you need, and document it for your case when you speak to a car accident lawyer.
- Talk to a car accident lawyer. Get the information you need about your potential case. You will be guided accordingly on the legal proceedings by your car accident lawyer, so you can focus on your recovery. Speak with a knowledgeable Gainesville personal injury attorney from Allen Law Firm, P.A. about your case.
Consult a Trusted Car Accident Lawyer TodayOur mission at the Allen Law Firm, P.A. is to provide knowledgeable advocacy in an innovative and compassionate manner for our injured clients, wherever they are in Florida. We strive to help our clients obtain the compensation they are rightfully entitled to. We are guided by our sense of integrity and personal commitment. If you would like to learn more about your options, speak with a car accident lawyer from our firm.
Call the Allen Law Firm, P.A. at (352) 331-6789 in Gainesville or (352) 351-3258 in Ocala to schedule an appointment with our car accident lawyer.